Phaedrus BMW on Jackson Street.
This building was built in 1914 as an investment for the Thomas B. Bishop Company to designs by O’Brien Brothers, architects. Its primary use through 1945 was as a public garage, and it was named the Jackson Garage for most of that time. From 1946 through the present its primary use has been as an auto repair shop.
The O’Brien Brothers, architects:
O’Brien Brothers consisted of Walter J., Albert L. and Arthur T. O’Brien, and practiced in San Francisco from 1907 through 1935. In 1925, after the deaths of his brothers, Walter J. O’Brien began working with Wilbur D. Peugh; the firm ultimately became known as “O’Brien Brothers and Wilbur D. Peugh.”
O’Brien Brothers had a diversified practice concentrating on industrial and commercial buildings, but also including many apartment buildings and residences. Auto related buildings were only a small percentage of their output, but … Read More