Manufacturer: Peugeot SA, Sochaux – France
Type: 403 Berline
Production time: April 1955 – October 1966 (all 403 Series)
Production outlet: 1,011,961
Engine: 1468cc straight-4 8CV Peugeot XB2/XB5 OHV I-Head
Power: 65 bhp / 5.000 rpm
Torque: 102 Nm / 2.500 rpm
Drivetrain: rear wheels
Speed: 130 Km/h
Curb weight: 973 kg
Wheelbase: 104.7 inch
Chassis: ponton, three-box and monobloc self-supporting steel unibody
Steering: rack and pinion
Gearbox: four-speed manual / all synchromesh / steering column shift
Clutch: single dry plate disc
Carburettor: Solex 32 PBICc
Fuel tank: 50 liter
Electric system: Ducellier 12 Volts 58Ah
Ignition system: distributor and coil
Brakes front: hydraulic 10 inch Lockheed drums (with two primary jaws)
Brakes rear: hydraulic 10 inch Lockheed drums
Suspension front: independent transverse wishbones, upper triangular crossbars, lower transverse coil springs + piston dampers
Suspension rear: beam axle, thrust struts, Panhard rod, longitudinal coil springs + telescopic dampers
Rear axle: live
Wheels: 15 inch steel discs
Tires: 165/80-380 Michelin-X radial
Options: Indenor TMD85/XDP85 Diesel engine (1816cc straight-4, 48 bhp/4.000 rpm, from 1958), electro-magnetic Jaeger automatic clutch (activated when changing gear, from 1957), Neiman starter switch (the starter is initiated by a push-button mounted Bakelite at the underside of the dashboard to the right of the steering wheel, preventively against car thefts)
– Although the Peugeot factory had been in the manufacturing business since the 1700’s, the company’s entry into the world of wheeled vehicles was by means of crinoline dresses, which used steel rods, leading to umbrella frames, wire wheels, and ultimately bicycles.
– Armand Peugeot introduced the Peugeot "Le Grand Bi" penny-farthing in 1882 and along with a range of other bicycles.
– He became interested in the automobile early on and after meeting with Gottlieb Daimler and others, was convinced of its viability. The first Peugeot automobile (a three-wheeled steam-powered car designed by Léon Serpollet) was produced in 1889; only four were made.
– In 1890, after meeting Gottlieb Daimler and Emile Levassor, steam was abandoned in favour of a four-wheeled car with a petrol-fuelled internal combustion engine built by Panhard under Daimler licence.
– The car company and bike company parted ways in 1926.
– With Carozzeria Pininfarina S.p.A.’s help the large body of the 403 Berline was created, presented on April 20, 1955 at the Palais de Chaillot (Trocadéro Palace) in Paris.
– Remarkable for that time was the thermostatically controlled fan, which stopped when the engine temperature came below 75 degrees and started as soon as the temperature rose to above 84 degrees.
– Another novelty was a heating system for the carburetor, responsive to switching on the heater in the car.
– The Peugeot 403 was the first French car with a diesel engine in mass production.
– The 403 Series was available as this 4-door Berline, as 403 B7 (Sept) Berline or "Berline Luxe" (1960-1966: 1290cc TM5 engine, 47bhp, 172,513 units built), as 2-door Cabriolet (1957-1961: 2,043 units built), as 5-door Familiale (1956-1962: 34,928 units built), as 3-door Fourgonnette Tôlée (1956-1962: 6,892 units built), as 3-door Commerciale (1956-1962: 112,601 units built), as 3-door Plateau-Cabine (1956-1961: 27,066 units built), as 2-door 403 U B8 Camionnettes Bâchée (1956-1962: 155,709 units built) and as Ambulance (826 units built).
– A total of 1,196,958 cars were assembled in France (Sochaux), Australia, Argentina and in New Zealand.
Tagged: , Clay , Peugeot SA, Sochaux – France , Peugeot 403 Berline , cp , 1957 , French Automobile , French car , AH-92-83 , Sidecode-1 , Carozzeria Pininfarina S.p.A., Cambiano – Italy , Artistic Impressions , Beautiful Capture , Creative Impuls , CanonFlickrAward , Digital Creations , Fine Gold , Hairygits Elite , LOVELY FLICKR , Masters Of Creative Photography , Nice As It Gets , Planet Earth Transport , Photographic World , SOE , SIMPLY SUPERB , Simply Because , The Best Shot , The Pit Stop Shop , VIVID&STRIKING , VIGILANT PHOTOGRAPHERS UNITE , WOW , Wheels-Anything That Rolls , Your Best Of Today , Vianen – The Netherlands , The Netherlands , A photographers view , All types of transport , ANTICANDO!!! , Auto_Focus , BEST PEOPLE’S CHOICE , A feast for my eyes , The Machines , THE LOOK level 1 RED , Blink again , CAZADORES DE IMÁGENES , All kinds of transport , Blood Sweat and Gears , GEARHEADS , GREATPHOTOGRAPHERS , Old cars , Cars cars cars , Digifoto Pro , Django’s Master , Damn cool photographers , FAIR PLAY , Friends Forever , InfiniteXposure , IQ – Image Quality , Give me 5 , Living with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) , My friends pictures , PHOTOGRAPHERS , Planet Earth back in the day , Pro Photo , Slow ride , Showcase Images , Groupe Charlie , PhotoMix , Saariy’sQualityPictures , Transport of all kinds , The Red Group , Interesting , Fan de Voitures , Ineffable , Simply The Best , France