Manufacturer: Chevrolet Division of General Motors LLC, Detroit – U.S.A.
Type: Monte Carlo Series 13800 / 1H57 Sport Coupé
Engine: 5733cc L48 Turbo-Fire small block V-8 (90°)overhead valve (by GM)
Power: 167 bhp / 4.000 rpm
Speed: 175 km/h
Production time: 1970 – 1972
Production outlet: 180,819 (1972)
Production outlet: 439,393 (1970-1972 incl. 5,742 “SS 454”)
Curb weight: 1648 kg
– "Chevrolet: Building a Better Way To See The USA."
– This first generation "coke bottle styling" Monte Carlo, designed by Elliot Marantette "Pete" Estes and Dave Holls (codenamed “Concours”) and named for the city Monte Carlo in the Principality of Monaco, specifically the ward of Monte Carlo/Spélugues, is built on the same GM A-body platform intermediate-sized cars as the re-designed 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix, is 23 cm taller than the Chevelle, only model was this Hardtop Coupé ( ’72 models were called Sport Coupé), only sold with a V-8 engine (wide choice) and has to compete with the new A-body Pontiac Grand Prix and the Ford Thunderbird.
– Only slight styling updates were made over the years.
– The rather ungainly rear an the 1970 labor strike at the Flint (Michigan) assembly plant, were probably guilty of poor sales, so the 1973 model was completely renewed.
– It has a fully synchronous three-speed manual gearbox, steering column shifter, a Rochester 7041113 dual downdraft carburettor, a 12-Volts electric system, distributor and coil ignition system, a 72 liter fuel tank, a single plate dry disc clutch and rear wheel drive.
– The box frame with crossbars chassis with steel body (by Fisher) has a 116 inch wheelbase, a Cadillac-like eggcrate / grid-textured grille, large, single headlamps mounted in square-shaped housings, hidden wipers, elm-burl dash panel inlays, fake wood trim dashboard, a bench seat , deep-twist carpeting, an electric clock, powered recirculating ball steering, front trapezoidal wishbones, independent ball joint with coil spring front sway bar suspension, longitudinal coil link rear suspension with lower trailing arms and upper differential for leading-trailing arms, telescopic shock absorbers all round, a semi-floating type rear axle, hypoid differential, 6×15 disc wheels, G78x15B bias-belted black sidewall tires, powered 11 inch ventilated disc brakes at the front and 9.5 inch self-adjusting drum brakes at the rear.
– A Turbo-Fire 350 CID 4-barrel carburettor, a 400 CID (6555cc) V-8 engine, a 454 CID (7440cc) V-8 engine , a Monte Carlo SS 454 package (with blacked-out rear body panel, front and rear stabilizer bars, dash controls with international symbol knobs, heavy-duty front and rear suspension, an automatic load-leveling rear suspension, "SS 454" badging, and rubber rear bumper inserts), a four-speed manual gearbox, an Automatic Torque-Drive, a Turbo Hydra-Matic three-speed automatic transmission (only on the SS 454), a two-speed Powerglide automatic transmission, power windows, power seats, variable-ratio power steering, Four Season Air Conditioning, speed control device, fender skirts, a light monitoring system, a four-spoke steering wheel, "rally" wheels, center console, full instrumentation, Strato bucket seats, a higher grade nylon (or vinyl) upholstery, cloth interior, full instrumentation, radio, AM/FM stereo radios with 8-track tape players and two-tone colouring were optional.
– This first generation was assembled at plants in Flint (Michigan), Baltimore (Maryland), Lakewood Heights (Georgia), Kansas City (Missouri), Van Nuys (California) and in Oshawa (Ontario – Canada).
Tagged: , Clay , Chevrolet Division of General Motors LLC, Detroit – U.S.A. , Chevrolet Monte Carlo , cc , Elliot Marantette Pete Estes , Dave Holls , 31-21-TN , CWODLP , King Cruise Amsterdam , Amsterdam – The Netherlands , American Luxury Car , Sidecode-2 , Artistic impressions , Beautiful capture , Creative Impuls , Digital Creations , Fine Gold , Hairygits Elite , LOVELY FLICKR , Masters of Creative Photography , Photographic World , The Pit Stop Shop , WOW , sexy , Your Best of Today , A photographers view , All types of transport , ANTICANDO!!! , Auto_Focus , BEST PEOPLE’S CHOICE , A feast for my eyes , The Machines , THE LOOK level 1 RED , Blink again , CAZADORES DE IMÁGENES , All kinds of transport , Blood sweat and gear , GEARHEADS , GREATPHOTOGRAPHERS , Cars cars and more cars , Cars cars cars , Digifoto Pro , Django’s Master , Damn cool photographers , FAIR PLAY , Friends Forever , InfiniteXposure , IQ – Image Quality , Give me 5 , Living with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) , My friends pictures , PHOTOGRAPHERS , Nice as it gets , Planet Earth Transport , Planet Earth back in the day , Pro Photo , Slow ride , Showcase Images , Lovely shot , PhotoMix , Saariy’sQualityPictures , Transport of all kinds , The Red Group , Simply Because , Simply Superb , Simply the best , Ineffable , Fan de Voitures , Moments in your life , SOE , The Best Shot , worldcars