Arnott Automobiles (1951-57)
The Arnott name had long been associated with the motor industry due to its production of superchargers.
The Arnott Automibles began with Miss Daphne Arnott, who had been a regular at Brands Hatch, and it was she who took the decision to begin production of firstly 500cc racing cars as a private venture, from 1951 based at Arnott’s Garages in Harlesden, London. Aided by George Thornton as designer Thornton had managed the family motorcycle business and later, was employed by Carburettors Ltd. working on Arnott carburettors and superchargers until the war. For the duration, he worked for De Havilland Aircraft Co. and became the General Manager of Arnott Racing Cars. The 500 F3 racers were the first cars and were driven by some notable drivers of the time including Ivor Bueb, John Brise and Dennis Taylor, in all nine F3 cars were completed.
The model achieved success both in racing as well as in breaking Class 1 records at Montlhery in 1953. A supercharged Austin A30-engined sports car was sold from 1954, and a 1,098 cc Coventry-Climax model was introduced in time for the 1955 race at Le Mans. This model employed spring damper units operated by lengthy control arm wishbones from the wheels on the opposite side.
In all the company produced around 25 cars most of which had fibreglass bodies
including the Arnott Climax sports car,
Shot at the VSCC Spring Start, Silverstone 20-21 April 2013 REF:90C-567
Tagged: , Arnott , Automotive.Badges , Badges , British , 1950’s , Racing