Description: Long, low, and well rounded, stock 1949–51 Mercurys became the favorite cars of 1950s customizers. When lowered even more and smoothed out by filling body seams with lead, these Mercs were called "lead sleds." This car shows many early customizing techniques. It was updated in the 1960s with sparkly Metalflake paint and blue "scallops."
Maker: Manufactured by the Lincoln Mercury Division of Ford Motor Company with customization by Barris Kustom Industries of North Hollywood, California. Carson Top Shop in Los Angeles, California made the convertible top.
Object ID: 92.110.1
Image: THF90777. Midcoast Studios, photographer
Location: Henry Ford Museum, The Henry Ford
Tagged: , 2012 , Driving America , Automobiles , Cars , Benson Ford Research Center , The Henry Ford