1947 MG TC Midget Sports Car rear right

1947 MG TC Midget Sports Car rear right

MG Cars is a former British sports car manufacturer, which was founded in 1924, the creator of the MG brand.
MG Cars is best known for its two-seat open sports cars, but MG also produced saloons and coupés. More recently, the MG marque has also been used on sportier versions of other models belonging to the parent company.
The MG marque was in continuous use (barring the years of the Second World War) for 56 years after its inception. Production of predominantly two-seater sports cars was concentrated at a factory in Abingdon, some 10 miles (16 km) south of Oxford. The British Motor Corporation (BMC) competition department was also based at the Abingdon plant and produced many winning rally and race cars. In the autumn of 1980, however, the Abingdon factory closed and MGB production ceased.
The MG TA replaced the PB in 1936. It was an evolution of the previous car and was 3 inches (76 mm) wider in its track at 45 inches and 7 inches (180 mm) longer in its wheelbase at 94 inches. The previous advanced overhead cam engine was now not in use by any other production car so it was replaced by a more typical MPJG OHV unit from the Wolseley 10 but with twin SU carburettors, modified camshaft and manifolding. The engine displaced just 1292 cc, with a stroke of 102 mm and a bore of 63.5 mm and power output was 50 hp (40.3 kW) at 4500 rpm. The four speed manual gearbox now had synchromesh on the two top ratios. Like the PB, most were two seat open cars with a steel body on an ash frame but it could also be had from 1938 as a Tickford drophead coupé with body by Salmsons of Newport Pagnell or closed "airline" coupé as fitted to the P type but only one of these is thought to have been made. It was capable of reaching nearly 80 mph (130 km/h) in standard tune with a 0-60 mph time of 23.1 seconds. Unlike the PB, hydraulic brakes were fitted. Just over 3000 were made and in 1936 it cost £222 on the home market.
The TA was replaced by the TB in May 1939 with the fitting of a smaller but more modern XPAG engine as fitted to the Morris 10 but in a higher tuned state and like the TA with twin SU carburettors. This 1250 cc I4 unit featured a slightly less-undersquare 66.6 mm bore and 90 mm stroke and had a maximum power output of 54 hp (40 kW) at 5200 rpm. Available as either an open 2 seater or more luxurious Tickford drophead coupé, this is the rarest of the T type cars with only 379 made.
On the eve of the war, MG had offered the TB model which, with a few modifications was to become the first post-war MG, the TC Midget. The chassis of the new car was essentially the same as before, but the sliding trunnion …

1947 MG TC Midget Sports Car 31

1947 MG TC Midget Sports Car 31

MG Cars is a former British sports car manufacturer, which was founded in 1924, the creator of the MG brand.
MG Cars is best known for its two-seat open sports cars, but MG also produced saloons and coupés. More recently, the MG marque has also been used on sportier versions of other models belonging to the parent company.
The MG marque was in continuous use (barring the years of the Second World War) for 56 years after its inception. Production of predominantly two-seater sports cars was concentrated at a factory in Abingdon, some 10 miles (16 km) south of Oxford. The British Motor Corporation (BMC) competition department was also based at the Abingdon plant and produced many winning rally and race cars. In the autumn of 1980, however, the Abingdon factory closed and MGB production ceased.
The MG TA replaced the PB in 1936. It was an evolution of the previous car and was 3 inches (76 mm) wider in its track at 45 inches and 7 inches (180 mm) longer in its wheelbase at 94 inches. The previous advanced overhead cam engine was now not in use by any other production car so it was replaced by a more typical MPJG OHV unit from the Wolseley 10 but with twin SU carburettors, modified camshaft and manifolding. The engine displaced just 1292 cc, with a stroke of 102 mm and a bore of 63.5 mm and power output was 50 hp (40.3 kW) at 4500 rpm. The four speed manual gearbox now had synchromesh on the two top ratios. Like the PB, most were two seat open cars with a steel body on an ash frame but it could also be had from 1938 as a Tickford drophead coupé with body by Salmsons of Newport Pagnell or closed "airline" coupé as fitted to the P type but only one of these is thought to have been made. It was capable of reaching nearly 80 mph (130 km/h) in standard tune with a 0-60 mph time of 23.1 seconds. Unlike the PB, hydraulic brakes were fitted. Just over 3000 were made and in 1936 it cost £222 on the home market.
The TA was replaced by the TB in May 1939 with the fitting of a smaller but more modern XPAG engine as fitted to the Morris 10 but in a higher tuned state and like the TA with twin SU carburettors. This 1250 cc I4 unit featured a slightly less-undersquare 66.6 mm bore and 90 mm stroke and had a maximum power output of 54 hp (40 kW) at 5200 rpm. Available as either an open 2 seater or more luxurious Tickford drophead coupé, this is the rarest of the T type cars with only 379 made.
On the eve of the war, MG had offered the TB model which, with a few modifications was to become the first post-war MG, the TC Midget. The chassis of the new car was essentially the same as before, but the sliding trunnion …

Mercedes-Benz C111 Concept

Mercedes-Benz C111 Concept

The compact wedge in bright orange, a shade internally called weissherbst, expressed power, elegance and speed. C 111 was the designation of the futuristic study displayed by Mercedes-Benz in September 1969 at the Frankfurt International Motor Show (IAA). The car broke new ground in terms of both engineering and design. Motor show visitors crowded around the sports car, marveling at its intriguing design. Was this the worthy successor to the famous 300 SL Gullwing? The car’s style, dynamic lines and classic gullwing doors promised just that to lovers of refined cars with the three-pointed star on the hood. This happened 35 years ago, at the C 111’s presentation in Frankfurt. In the spring of 1970, an even more elegantly clad C 111-II made its appearance at the Geneva Motor Show, prompting interested parties to send blank checks to Stuttgart to secure one of these cars for themselves.

Neither the C111-II or C 111 did not to appear in showrooms despite their lavish interior and cargo space. The coupes may have looked production worthy, but complex technologies embedded within in the cars kept them as experimental cars. However, the research in testing Wankel engines, new suspension components and plastic bodywork components contributed to future Mercedes-Benz road cars.

The three-rotor Wankel engine in the first C 111 of 1969 developed 206 kW/ 280 hp, giving the car a top speed of around 260 km/h. The newcomer set out on its first tests in Unterturkheim, on the Hockenheimring and the Nurburgring in April and May 1969. The suspension featured anti-squat and anti-dive control; its front axle components were incorporated in large-scale production at a later stage and the rear axle was a precursor of today’s multi-link independent rear suspension. On the basis of the experience gained in testing this car, another five experimental cars were built.

From Wankel to Diesel
An exceptional feature of the C 111 was hidden under its skin. The first experimental car of 1969 was powered not by a reciprocating-piston engine but by a Wankel – or rotary – engine. At the time, many manufacturers were interested in Felix Wankel’s unconventional propulsion system. Mercedes-Benz, too, had been experimenting with Wankel engines since 1962. However, the Wankel engine had to be extensively road-tested before being fitted in production cars.

The engines of the first two C 111 versions were straightforward gas-guzzlers. And since the pollutant content in the exhaust gas of the Wankel engines was also too high, Mercedes-Benz discontinued work on this type of engine in 1971, in spite of its impressively smooth running characteristics and compact size.The last Mercedes with a rotary-piston engine from this series was the four-rotor DB M950 KE409 of the C 111-II in 1970. Subsequent versions of the C111 project were powered by a diesel engine. They quite successfully showcased Mercedes-Benz’s prowess by breaking many world records.

[Text from Supercars.net]

Read more at www.supercars.net/cars/3015.html#YWhiHErEpHHjWgQ0.99

This Lego miniland-scale Mercedes-Benz C111 has been created for Flickr LUGNuts’ 84th build challenge, our 7th birthday, to the theme, …

2011_Auto_Shanghai_040

2011_Auto_Shanghai_040

大众展位 古晨

第十四届上海国际汽车工业博览会(2011上海车展)
The 14th Shanghai International Automobile Industry Exhibition(Auto Shanghai 2011)
官方网站:http://www.autoshanghai.org

Posted by DuKong on 2011-04-25 10:43:32

Tagged: , 2011 , 14届 , 上海 , 车展 , 上海车展 , 上海汽车展 , 上海国际汽车展 , 第十四届上海国际汽车工业博览会 , auto shanghai 2011 , 杜空 , DuKong , Nikon , D700 , 亚洲 , asia , asian , 中国 , China , Chinese , 人像 , portrait , 美女 , beauty , beautiful , mm , 模特 , model , pretty , 性感 , sexy , Glamour , 大众 , 古晨 …

Isotta Fraschini 8A Dual-Cowl Sports Tourer 1933

Isotta Fraschini 8A Dual-Cowl Sports Tourer 1933

The following text is taken straight from:

omniumcars.com/cars/isotta-fraschini-tipo-8a-1933

Regarding the car pictured here.

The Birth of the Company
After years of successfully importing French vehicles to Italy, Cesare Isotta and Vincenzo Fraschini created the Isotta Fraschini Company in 1902. Their elegantly designed automobiles were popular with rich clientele in the rapidly evolving world-wide automobile market. Their creations were reliable, stylish, and quick. An Isotta Fraschini car won the t Targa Florio in 1908.

When Isotta Fraschini introduced the Tipo 8 in 1919, the firm had already established itself as the premier builder of luxury automobiles in Italy. Since the dawn of motoring, Isotta Fraschini had offered some of the most pioneering and prestigious examples of the automobile, and the new Tipo 8 would live up to its proud lineage. The Tipo 8 was, the first “production” inline eight-cylinder engine, a design that would the standard for high-performance luxury automobiles of the Classic Era.

In 1912 the Isotta Fraschini Company introduced a straight eight-cylinder engine but it would not go into production until 1919 after World War I when the company built aero engines. The eight-cylinder engine powered the Tipo 8, making it the first straight-eight cylinder engine to go into production. The 5.9-liter capacity engine could of produce 100 horsepower, an most noteworthy accomplishment at the time.

In the Twenties
The grand scale of the Tipo 8 was less essential by the 1920s, when advancements in engineering ensured that a smaller engines were capable of acceptable performance. Nevertheless, in cultivating its image as an exclusive builder of high-end luxury cars, Isotta Fraschini sought to maintain the massive size of its engines and chassis as well as the extravagant coachbuilt bodies to appeal to its very wealthy clientele. A major contributor to the long, stately lines of Isotta Fraschinis was the Tipo 8 chassis itself, with its impressive straight eight necessitating an exceptionally long hood. The coachwork near the scuttle was often aligned with the sizeable radiator, further contributing to the imposing lines and immense stature of the car. The cars were also highly stylized throughout, with many coachbuilders playing up the grand chassis with delightful touches such as intricately detailed brightwork, the finest auxiliary accessories available and bespoke options.

In 1924, the Tipo 8 chassis underwent a thorough redesign that improved the overall performance, created a more comfortable ride and helped to facilitate the larger, heavier bodies that were becoming increasingly fashionable by the mid 1920s. Engine capacity was increased to 7.3 liters, giving the vehicle between 110 and 120 horsepower depending on the configuration. The updated design was soon dubbed the Tipo 8A. The standard model sat atop a 145 inch wheelbase while a sportier version was fitted with a 134 inch wheelbase.

The North American market was especially important to Isotta Fraschini as many Americans were keen on cars that offered impressive outright performance yet still retained the ability to cruise effortlessly and majestically in the greatest of style. Isotta Fraschini built grand, dignified touring cars that could …