Manufacturer: Ford Société Anonyme France (Ford SAF), Poissy / Paris – France
Type: Comète Monte Carlo Coupé 22CV
Engine: 3923cc Ford Flathead 239 V-8
Power: 105 bhp / 3.800 rpm
Speed: 156 km/h
Production time: 1954 – 1955
Production outlet: 699
Curb weight: 1470 kg
– This 2+2 seater fixed-head (notchback) Coupé was designed by Jean Daninos (Stabilimenti Industriali Giovanni Farina S.A., Torino – Italy, an older brother of the more famous Battista ‘Pinin’ Farina) and built by Facel Metallon SA, Paris – France (a French subsidiary of Ford), based on the French Ford Vedette with a Mercury chassis.
– At that time they were the most expensive Ford product in the world and the only Ford automobile with custom coachwork, although it didn’t even carry the Ford badge.
– Its V-8 engine, normally fitted to Ford trucks, but buyers didn’t like the idea of having a car with a "truck engine". High taxes and the high price (51% higher than a spacious four door Vendôme) didn’t made this model a “sales success”.
– During 1954, Ford SAF was sold and the Comète’s final year of production took place under Simca. The Simca Comète Monte-Carlo continued to be offered till July 1955.
– It has a three-speed manual gearbox, column shifter, a Zenith-Stromberg 32 DINX carburettor, a 63 liter fuel tank and rear wheel drive.
– The Facel chassis with steel body has a 106 inch wheelbase, MacPherson independent wheel axles, a large egg-crate grille (nicknamed “coupe-frites” or a “french-fry cutter” by the French), a fake hood scoop, a ribbed stainless steel dashboard, stainless steel door handles, an impressive jet-age three-spoked steering wheel, two-colour leather seat covers, steel wheels with chromed hubcaps and hydraulic drum brakes all round.
– A four-speed manual gearbox (pont-a-mousson gearbox) was optional, just like wire wheels, Dayton wheels and two-tone colouring.
Tagged: , Clay , Ford Société Anonyme France (Ford SAF), Poissy / Paris – France , Ford Comète Monte Carlo Coupé , cf , French Automobile , French Sports Car , Jean Daninos , Stabilimenti Industriali Giovanni Farina S.A., Torino – Italy , Vianen – The Netherlands , Artistic impressions , Beautiful capture , Creative Impuls , Digital Creations , Fine Gold , Hairygits Elite , LOVELY FLICKR , Masters of Creative Photography , Photographic World , The Pit Stop Shop , Wheels-Anything That Rolls , Your Best of Today , A photographers view , All types of transport , ANTICANDO!!! , Auto_Focus , BEST PEOPLE’S CHOICE , A feast for my eyes , The Machines , THE LOOK level 1 RED , Blink again , CAZADORES DE IMÁGENES , All kinds of transport , Blood sweat and gear , GEARHEADS , GREATPHOTOGRAPHERS , Cars cars and more cars , Cars cars cars , Digifoto Pro , Django’s Master , Damn cool photographers , FAIR PLAY , Friends Forever , InfiniteXposure , IQ – Image Quality , Give me 5 , I Like It , I …