Mercedes-Benz 770 1931 (2853)

Mercedes-Benz 770 1931 (2853)

Manufacturer: Daimler-Benz AG, Stuttgart – Germany
Type: 770 (W 07)
Engine: 7655cc Supercharged straight-8
Power: 200 bhp / 2.800 rpm
Speed: 160 km/h
Production time: 1930 – 1938
Production outlet: 119*
Curb weight: 3,000 kg

Special:

– The "Großer Mercedes" (large Mercedes) was the largest and most luxurious automobile ever built by Mercedes-Benz.
– It was debuted at the 1930 Paris Motor Show where it was among the highlights of the day.
– It set a new standard in the world of top-flight passenger cars for prospective customers, the public and the experts.
– The bodies are built at the special M-B plant in Sindelfingen.
– It was the car to have as state vehicles for Kings, Monarchs, Popes and other high-ranking officials, like Reichspräsident von Hindenburg, Adolf Hitler, Kaiser Hirohito from Japan, Pope Pius XI and Pope Pius XII..
– The Roots type supercharger was an option, and only thirteen buyers opted for the naturally aspirated engine (150bhp).
– It has a four-speed manual transmission (third was direct and fourth was an overdrive).
– Of its successor, the 770 (W 150 Series II) (1938-1943) 88 built in total.

– * 119 total:
+ 19 Rolling chassis
+ 42 Pullman-Limousines
+ 26 Tourenwagens (six-seater (open) touring car)
+ 2 Cabriolet B (four windows)
+ 4 Cabriolet C (two windows)
+ 18 Cabriolet D
+ 8 Cabriolet F

Added to the gallery www.flickr.com/photos/danvartanian/galleries/721576379610…

Added to the gallery www.flickr.com/photos/stevepoe/galleries/72157639107186833

Posted by Le Photiste on 2013-11-28 22:33:41

Tagged: , Daimler-Benz AG, Stuttgart – Germany , Mercedes-Benz 770 W 07 , Großer Mercedes , Mercedes-Benz plant Sindelfingen , cm , a feast for my eyes , auto_focus , A Photographers View , All types of transport , beautiful capture , Build your rainbow , blinkagain , Creative Photo Group , Cars cars and more cars , Cars Cars Cars , Creative Artists Cafe , Creative impuls , damn cool photographers , Django’s Master , digifoto Pro , DREAMLIKE PHOTOS , Digital Creations , digital art work , Digital ArtFX2 , Friends Forever , Fine gold , Fan de Voitures , FotoArtCircle , greatphotographers , gearheads , German pre-war car , ineffable , I like it , Love it , LOVELY FLICKR , Living with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) , my_gear_and_me , MAGIC MOMENTS IN YOUR LIFE , Masters of Creative Photography , My Friends Pictures , Nice as it gets , PHOTOGRAPHERS , Planet Earth Transport , Planet Earth Back In The Day , Photoshop Artists , Photographic World , paint creations , PRO PHOTO , Photo Art , Photos become art , Remember that moment , Super Six bronze , showroom , slow ride , Show Case , Soul O Creativity , SIMPLY SUPERB , Super Six , SOE , Soul O Photography , The Look Level red , The Best Shot , Transport of all kinds , TAKEN WITH LOVE , TAKEN WITH HARD WORK , The Pit Stop Shop , The Machines , VIGILANT PHOTOGRAPHERS UNITE LEVEL 1 , Wheels-Anything That Rolls …

Citroën 11CV Traction Avant 11BL 1953 (8559)

Citroën 11CV Traction Avant 11BL 1953 (8559)

Manufacturer: Citroën S.A., Groupe PSA Peugeot Citroën, Saint-Ouen – France
Type: 11CV Traction Avant
Engine: 1911cc straight-4
Power: 56 bhp / 3.800 rpm
Speed: 118 km/h
Production time: 1939 – 1957
Production time: 1934 – 1957 (all TA’s)
Production outlet: 248,597
Production outlet: 759,111 (all TA’s)
Curb weight: 1100 kg

Special:
– The Traction Avant is designed by André Lefèbvre (spiritual father) and Flaminio Bertoni (final design) and was the first mass produced front drive and fully welded unibody construction car in the world.
– The original plan was to built the TA with an automatic gearbox. The first generation automatic gearboxes had "big troubles" and was nicknamed "Friteuse" (‘Fryer’), because it boiled constantly the oil in it.
– The engineers cobbled together (emergency measure and redesigned within three weeks!) a manual three-speed gearbox (column/dash shift), hardly fitted in the original housing of the automatic transmission. It remained the TA’s weak spot.
– It also has independently suspended front wheels and suspension by torsion bars, hydraulic brakes (Lockheed system) and from 1936 rack and pinion steering.
– The engines were equipped with overhead valves, very progressive for its time, with wet, replaceable cylinder bushes.
– Although the ingenious structure dating from 1934, it remained in production until 1957. And not because there was no successor (DS 1955), but simply because there were still too many "supporters" of this vehicle.
– It could be delivered as "7CV’, 11BL "Légère" (as Sedan, Cabrio and Faux-Cabrio), 11BN "Normale" ((as Sedan, Cabrio en Faux-Cabrio), 11BC "Commerciale" (with large tailgate), 11BF "Familiale" (with six side windows and folding chairs ("strapontins"), "Limousine" (without folding chairs), 15/6F, 15/6C (6 cylinder luxury versions) with a trunk or a spare wheel at the back.
– The 7-series is produced until 1939.
– Coupes and Convertibles were only built before WWII.
– During the 23 years of production, the war years included, only a few notable changes to the Traction Avant were applied. The most conspicuous is the modification of July 1952, when the spare wheel disappeared under the trunk instead of the familiar ‘wheel’ back.
– On that occasion the windscreen wipers moved to the bottom of the windshield and bumpers became the straihgt rather than the graceful "mustaches" ​​of yesteryear.
– Technically only small modifications were made, but never drastic, for instance compression ratio of the engine by improving petrol.
– To the urgent call of many customers to a more robust gearbox with four clutches, to a less susceptible driveshafts and a more robust and less complicated front suspension was never given a call by Citroën. They were interested in improving the TA. Only in developing their models of the future: the 2CV (1948) and the DS (1955).
– The Traction Avants were produced in Paris (France), in Cologne (Germany), Copenhagen (Denmark), in Vorst (Belgium) and in Slough (United Kingdom, right-hand drive).
– Some prototypes with 22CV (100 bhp) V8 engines were exhibited at the Paris Motor Show in October 1934. Citroën had a dozen of these …

Panhard Dyna Berline X 86 120 1952 (6366)

Panhard Dyna Berline X 86 120 1952 (6366)

Manufacturer: Société des Anciens Etablissements Panhard et Levassor, Paris – France
Type: Dyna Berline X 86 120 4CV
Production time: 1950 – 1953
Production outlet: 33,093 (all 4-door Saloon Cars)
Production time: 1948 – 1954 (all Dyna X and K Series)
Production outlet: 47,049 (all Dyna X and K Series)
Engine: 745cc SS3 horizontally-opposed twin cylinder boxer (flat-twin) type air-cooled
Power: 33 bhp / 5.000 rpm
Torque: 57 Nm / 3.000 rpm
Drivetrain: front wheels
Speed: 117 km/h
Curb weight: 645 kg
Wheelbase: 83.5 inch
Chassis: all-steel tubular frame chassis with an aluminum body
Steering: rack and pinion
Gearbox: our-speed manual gearbox with overdive (synchromesh on the upper three gears) / steering column shifter
Clutch: single plate dry disc
Carburettor: Solex 32 PBIC or Zenith 32 IN
Fuel tank: 30 liter
Electric system: 12 Volts by Ducellier or Paris- Rhône
Ignition system: distributor and coil
Brakes front: Bendix hydraulic finned aluminum drums
Brakes rear: Bendix hydraulic finned aluminum drums
Suspension front: independent upper and lower transverse leaf springs + Houdaille hydraulic shock absorbers
Suspension rear: semi-independent transverse trailing arms with a V link torsion bar + Houdaille hydraulic shock absorbers
Rear axle: rigid axle with three torsion bars on each side
Differential: spiral bevel
Wheels and ires: 135×400

Special:
– The looks were up to date (modern and aerodynamic ), but technically ahead of its time, this Dyna, codenamed “Projekt AF-G (Aluminium Français – Grégoire), designed by engineer Jean-Albert Grégoire, was at first shown (the Panhard X 84) at the 1946 Paris Motor Show.
– The name "Dyna" was selected, a reference to the Panhard Dynamic before the war.
– Increasingly baroque body decoration led to the range being nicknamed "Louis XV".
– Panhard supplier Facel-Métallon, Paris developed a new process to manufacturer its all steel tubular frame chassis and the all aluminum body in pressed sheets.
– Until Ferrari came along with the Ferrari 360 (1999), it was the only production car to feature an all-aluminum chassis.
– The wheels have no hub. They are assembled by "ears" on the aluminum brake drums.
– The Dyna Series were available as this 4-door Berline, as 3-door Commerciale (with fixed side windows), as 3-door Break (with large sliding windows and a rear seat), as 2 -door Découvrable (Convertible), as 2-door Roadster (Dyna X Junior), as Fourgonette (a closed light Van), as 5-door Limousine, as 5-door Taxi and a rare 3-door Canadienne (a closed “Woody Van” (only 1949) and only 25 units built).
– A very special Dyna is Dynavia, a teardrop shape show/ studie model to study the possibilities of streamlining. Only 2 uinits built and only 1 still excists today.
– Citroën had a minority of 25% interest in Panhard since 1955 and took over the P&L Company in 1965 and let the car brand name "vanish" in 1967.

Posted by Le Photiste on 2016-01-05 18:46:32

Tagged: , Clay , Société des Anciens Etablissements Panhard et Levassor, Paris – France , Panhard Dyna Berline X 86 120 , cp , …

Buick Series 40 Special 46 S Model 41 1941 (5891)

Buick Series 40 Special 46 S Model 41 1941 (5891)

Manufacturer: Buick Motor Division / General Motors, Buick Motor Division, Flint, Michigan – USA
Type: Series 40 Special 46 S Model 41
Engine: 4064cc straight-8
Power: 126 bhp / 3.400 rpm
Speed: 130 km/h
Production time: 1941 – 1942
Production outlet: 91,138
Production outlet: 238,618 (all Series 40 Special)
Curb weight: 1762 kg

Special:
– The Series 40 is based on Buicks "Y-Job project" (1938) and designed by Harley J. Earl (Styling Division) and was the automobile industry’s first concept car (the first car built by a mass manufacturer for the sole purpose of determining the public’s reaction to new design ideas).
– The "Y-Job" styling included the vertical waterfall grille design still used by Buick today.
– The ’41 models were again all new, with the front fenders now very closely integrated into the cars overall design.
– Production ended on 4 February 1942.
– It has a Carter Dual Compound carburettor, a three-speed "Wilson Preselect" sliding column controls (shaft drive) or a two-speed automatic gearbox with rear wheel drive.
– The suspension was comprised of semi-elliptic springs and Lovejoy hydraulic shock absorbers.
– Options includes a heater, defroster, radio, special trim, special order Lancaster Gray paint and a leather interior.
– After WWII production restarted with the pre-war B-body (’42 model).
– The name ‘Series 40’ would stick with Buick until 1959, when a new series naming scheme was introduced.

Posted by Le Photiste on 2014-06-04 09:20:56

Tagged: , Buick Motor Division / General Motors, Buick Motor Division, Flint, Michigan – USA , Buick Series 40 Special 46 S Model 41 , cb , Y-Job project (1938) , Harley J. Earl , a feast for my eyes , auto_focus , All types of transport , A Photographers View , Artistic impressions , blinkagain , Build your rainbow , beautiful capture , Creative Photo Group , Creative impuls , Creative Artists Cafe , Cars cars and more cars , Cars Cars Cars , digifoto Pro , Django’s Master , damn cool photographers , Digital Creations , DREAMLIKE PHOTOS , Friends Forever , FotoArtCircle , Fan de Voitures , Fine gold , greatphotographers , gearheads , In My Eyes , ineffable , I like it , Love it , LOVELY FLICKR , Living with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) , my_gear_and_me , Masters of Creative Photography , My Friends Pictures , MAGIC MOMENTS IN YOUR LIFE , Nice as it gets , Photographic World , PHOTOGRAPHERS , Photoshop Artists , paint creations , Photo Art , Planet Earth Transport , Planet Earth Back In The Day , SIMPLY SUPERB , PRO PHOTO , Remember that moment Level 1 , Saariy’sQualityPictures , SOE , Super Six bronze , Super Six , showroom , Show Case , Soul O Photography , The Look Level red , The Best Shot , The Pit Stop Shop , Transport of all kinds , The Machines , VIGILANT PHOTOGRAPHERS UNITE , Wheels-Anything That Rolls , AR-42-74 , Sidecode-1 , worldcars …

Ford Model T Touring 1914 (8367)

Ford Model T Touring 1914 (8367)

Manufacturer: Ford Motor Company, Dearborn, Michigan – U.S.A.
Type: Model T Touring
Engine: 2896cc straight-4
Power: 22 bhp / 1.600 rpm
Speed: 72 km/h
Production time: 1908 – 1927
Production outlet: 15,458,781
Curb weight: 750 kg

Special:
– On October 1, 1908, the company introduced the successful Ford Model T (also known as Tin Lizzie, Tin Lizzy, T‑Model Ford, Model T, or T), designed by Childe Harold Wills, Joseph A. Galamb and Eugene Farkas,
– At first assembled in Piquette plant and from 1910 in the Highland Park plant.
– It was Fords first mass production car (instead of individual hand crafting). The chassis was drawn by workers on a carriage trough the factory. Later, the sleds were replaced by carts on rails and mechanically drawn ("electric lines").
– This was not the first production line with completely interchangeable parts ever (that was Olds Motor Works, Lansing, Michigan – USA with the Model R Curved Dash), but it was the first time an entire plant worked with this system.
– The bodies were still to 1919 from other manufacturers, notably OJ Beaudette and Kelsey.
– It was Americas first automobile with standard left hand steering, while driving on the right was "the right way".
– The ignition system used an unusual trembler coil system to drive the spark plugs (used only for stationary gas engines) but made the T more flexible to use a range of fuels, like gasoline, kerosene or ethanol.
– The Ts in-line engine was the first engine with a removable cylinder head.
– The transmission is a standard two-speed planetary unit with a magneto located in front of the flywheel. This magneto supplied ignition current generated in a set of stationary coils.
– One had to have special driving techniques in order to keep the planetary gearing under control. So in many States you needed an extra / special driver’s licence.
– The early models had a foot-operated transmission brake and hand-operated rear wheel mechanical drum brakes.
– An option were the "Rocky Mountain Brakes", additional external band brakes only on the rear axle.
– The parking brake works on the tie rods to the drum brakes on the rear axle.
– The suspension employed a transversely mounted semi-elliptical spring for each of the front and rear beam axles which allowed a great deal of wheel movement to cope with the dirt roads of the time.
– The Model T’s built prior to 1919 were supplied with non-demountable wheels. This meant that if a flat tire occurred, the tire had to be removed from the rim and a new tube installed. In 1919, demountable wheels were available which allowed for a spare rim with the tire attached to be carried.
– The wheels were wooden artillery wheels with pneumatic clincher type tires, with steel welded-spoke wheels available in 1926 and 1927.
– Balloon tires with steel wires reinforcing the tire bead became available in 1925.
– Henry Ford: “Any customer can have a car painted any …