Manufacturer: Ford Motor Company, Dearborn, Michigan – U.S.A.
Type: Model T Touring Type T1
Production time: 1908 – 1914
Production outlet: 165,832 (1914: all Touring models)
Production outlet: 202,667 (1914: all models)
Production outlet: 15,458,781 (1908-1927: all models)
Engine: 2896cc straight-4 Ford 177 CID Vertical L-head, L-block, side valves flathead
Power: 20 bhp / 1.600 rpm
Drivetrain: rear wheels
Speed: 68 km/h
Curb weight: 700 kg
Wheelbase: 100 inch
Chassis: lead frame made of riveted U-steel profiles on a wooden skeleton with separate metal planking body
Steering: planetary epicyclic gear
Gearbox: manual two-speed planetary unit with a magneto located in front of the flywheel (this magneto supplied ignition current generated in a set of stationary coils)
Clutch: multiple dry plate disc
Fuel tank: 38 liter (case fuel system: gravity type, no pump)
Electric system: 6 Volts
Ignition system: single trembler coil
Brakes front: non
Brakes rear: hand-operated mechanical external contracting drums
Brakes: external braking on the driveshaft
Suspension front: rigid axle, cross two push rods, transversely mounted semi-elliptical springs
Suspension rear: rigid axle, two cast housing halves which accommodate the differential gear and the two drive shafts, cross two push rods, transverse leaf springs
Rear axle: live semi-floating type
Differential: spiral bevel 3.64:1
Wheels: wooden Artillery type
Tires front: 30 x 3 pneumatic clincher type
Tires raer: 30 x 3½ pneumatic clincher type
Options: "Rocky Mountain Brakes" (external band brakes only on the rear axle), balloon tires with steel wires reinforcing the tire bead (from 1925), steel welded-spoke wheels available in 1926 and 1927
– On October 1, 1908, the company introduced the successful Ford Model T (also known as Tin Lizzie, Tin Lizzy, T‑Model Ford, Model T or T), designed by Childe Harold Wills, Joseph A. Galamb and Eugene Farkas.
– At first assembled in Piquette plant and from 1910 in the Highland Park plant.
– It was Fords first mass production car (instead of individual hand crafting). The chassis was drawn by workers on a carriage trough the factory. Later, the sleds were replaced by carts on rails and mechanically drawn ("electric lines").
– This was not the first production line with completely interchangeable parts ever (that was Olds Motor Works, Lansing, Michigan – USA with the Model R Curved Dash), but it was the first time an entire plant worked with this system.
– The bodies were still from other manufacturers until 1919, notably OJ Beaudette and Kelsey.
– It was America’s first automobile with standard left hand steering, while driving on the right was "the right way".
– The Ts in-line engine was the first engine with a removable cylinder head.
– The parking brake works on the tie rods to the drum brakes on the rear axle.
– The Model T’s built prior to 1919 were supplied with non-demountable wheels. This meant that if a flat tire occurred, the tire had to be removed from the rim and a new tube installed. In 1919, demountable wheels were available which allowed for a …