Producer: Citroën S.A., Groupe PSA Peugeot Citroën, Saint-Ouen – France
Variety: 11CV Traction Avant
Engine: 1911cc straight-4
Electrical power: fifty six bhp / three.800 rpm
Pace: 118 km/h
Production time: 1939 – 1957
Production time: 1934 – 1957 (all TA’s)
Production outlet: 248,597
Production outlet: 759,111 (all TA’s)
Curb excess weight: 1110 kg
– The Traction Avant is made by André Lefèbvre (spiritual father) and Flaminio Bertoni (remaining design and style) and was the initial mass generated front drive and fully welded unibody building vehicle in the world.
– The first prepare was to developed the TA with an computerized gearbox. The initial generation computerized gearboxes experienced “big problems” and was nicknamed “Friteuse” (‘Fryer’), because it boiled continually the oil in it.
– The engineers cobbled jointly (emergency measure and redesigned inside three weeks!) a handbook three-velocity gearbox (column/dash change), rarely fitted in the first housing of the computerized transmission. It remained the TA’s weak location.
– It also has independently suspended front wheels and suspension by torsion bars, hydraulic brakes (Lockheed procedure) and from 1936 rack and pinion steering.
– The engines have been outfitted with overhead valves, pretty progressive for its time, with damp, replaceable cylinder bushes.
– While the ingenious composition dating from 1934, it remained in manufacturing until 1957. And not because there was no successor (DS 1955), but merely because there have been continue to far too lots of “supporters” of this vehicle.
– It could be sent as “7CV’, 11BL “Légère” (as Sedan, Cabrio and Faux-Cabrio), 11BN “Normale” (as Sedan, Cabrio en Faux-Cabrio), 11BC “Commerciale” (with massive tailgate), 11BF “Familiale” (with six aspect home windows and folding chairs (“strapontins”), “Limousine” (without folding chairs), 15/6F, 15/6C (six cylinder luxury variations) with a trunk or a spare wheel at the back.
– The 7-collection is generated until 1939.
– Coupes and Convertibles have been only developed just before WWII.
– All through the 23 several years of manufacturing, the war several years incorporated, only a several notable alterations to the Traction Avant have been used. The most conspicuous is the modification of July 1952, when the spare wheel disappeared less than the trunk as a substitute of the common ‘wheel’ back.
– On that occasion the windscreen wipers moved to the bottom of the windshield and bumpers grew to become the straihgt instead than the sleek “mustaches” of yesteryear.
– Technically only modest modifications have been manufactured, but in no way drastic, for instance compression ratio of the motor by enhancing petrol.
– To the urgent simply call of lots of shoppers to a a lot more sturdy gearbox with four clutches, to a much less inclined driveshafts and a a lot more sturdy and much less intricate front suspension was in no way presented a simply call by Citroën. They have been fascinated in enhancing the TA. Only in developing their types of the upcoming: the 2CV (1948) and the DS (1955).
– The Traction Avants have been generated in Paris (France), in Cologne …