Manufacturer: Riley Motors Limited / British Motor Corporation Limited (BMC), Longbridge – UK
Type: ELF MK II
Engine: 998cc straight-4 (by Cooper)
Power: 41 bhp / 5.250 rpm
Speed: 122 km/h
Production time: 1962 – 1966
Production outlet: 17,816
Curb weight: 670 kg
– It’s a variant of the original Mini, designated by Leonard Lord as project ADO15 (Amalgamated Drawing Office project number 15).
– The Riley ELF, as well as the Wolseley Hornet stablemate, were simultaneously introduced in 1961.
– Built as more luxurious versions of the Mini (a higher quality of interior trim and more external chrome), both the ELF and the Hornet had longer, slightly finned rear wings, distinctive fronts and larger boots that gave the cars a more traditional three-box design.
– The interior has a full-width wood veneer dashboard.
– It has a four-speed manual gearbox (floor lever), frontwheel drive, one SU carburettor and drum brakes (twin leading brake shoes on front).
– In May 1965 an Automatic transmission was introduced.
– The ELF and Hornet were the first "Mini’s" to feature roll-up windows (1966), face-level ventilation, remote gearchange linkage and deleted external door hinges (1966).
– As in early pre-war models, the ELF was the sporty version.
– The noticeable difference between the Elf and the Hornet is the front grille.
The Hornet has a badge at the top on the grille, which is illuminated with the lights. The Elf does not have this illuminated badge.
– Sir Alec Issigonis, the designer of the original Mini, was "not amused". He thought it was terrible.
– There were three series between 1961 and 1969:
* MK I: 1961-1962 / 848cc / 3,522 ELFs / 3,166 Hornets
* MK II: 1962-1966 / 998cc / 17,816 ELFs / 16,785 Hornets
* MK III: 1966-1969 / 998cc / 9,574 ELFs / 8,504 Hornets
* 30,912 ELFs in total
* 28,455 Hornets in total
Tagged: , Riley Motors Limited , British Motor Corporation Limited (BMC), Longbridge – UK , Riley ELF MK II , project ADO15 (Amalgamated Drawing Office project number 15) , Leonard Lord , Sir Alec Issigonis , a feast for my eyes , auto_focus , All types of transport , A Photographers View , Artistic impressions , blinkagain , Build your rainbow , beautiful capture , Creative Photo Group , Cars Cars Cars , Cars cars and more cars , Creative impuls , Django’s Master , digifoto Pro , DREAMLIKE PHOTOS , Digital Creations , damn cool photographers , Friends Forever , Fine gold , Fan de Voitures , FotoArtCircle , gearheads , greatphotographers , ineffable , I like it , LOVELY FLICKR , Living with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) , Love it , my_gear_and_me , Masters of Creative Photography , MAGIC MOMENTS IN YOUR LIFE , My Friends Pictures , Nice as it gets , Photographic World , PHOTOGRAPHERS , Planet Earth Transport , Planet Earth Back In The Day , paint creations , PRO PHOTO , Photo Art , Photos become art , Remember that moment , SOE , Super Six , showroom , Super Six bronze , Show Case , slow ride , SIMPLY SUPERB , Saariy’sQualityPictures , The Look Level red , The Best Shot , The Pit Stop Shop , TAKEN WITH LOVE , The Machines , Transport of all kinds , TAKEN WITH HARD WORK , VIGILANT PHOTOGRAPHERS UNITE , Wheels-Anything That Rolls , worldcars